Monday, December 15, 2008

It Annoys Me ...

And let's face it, we all know it doesn't take much to piss me off.

Ethan's nativity play was held on Thursday evening last week. So was Parents Evening at Sean's school. Now you'd think, given that Ethan's school is the feeder school to Sean's school, that the two schools would talk to each other (particularly as they are about 200 yards apart). Wouldn't you? I would! Sadly, it seems they don't talk to each other.

So, dilemma. Do we go to Parents Evening, or do we go to see our sweet little Ethan playing a stompy lil elephant in the Nativity? No contest really, right? After all, we already know that Sean is an absolute angel at school that never gives his teachers a moment of concern (or something like that ...) - well, you'll know if you read my blog regularly that we did indeed go to see Ethan in his play (not to mention that Sean was off sick from school all last week with a virus anyway, and it wouldn't have been ideal to have him spreading his germs around anyway).

So yesterday morning a letter plops through the letterbox.

'Dear Parent/Guardian

We were very disappointed that you were unable to attend Parents Evening on Thursday 11th December 2008.

This is a very important year in your child's education and schooling and as such I have arranged a meeting between 3 and 4 pm on Monday 15th December for you to attend at your convenience to discuss the progress of your child. It is vital that you attend this meeting.

Yours faithfully
etc etc etc'

So firstly they want me to attend at my convenience. Does this mean I need to turn up at 3 pm? Or anytime between 3 and 4? But they say it is vital that I attend ... well, sorry, but expecting me to drop everything and rush to the school just isn't going to work - after all, I WORK. And with the current situation at work there is no way that I can just take an afternoon off to go to school (I would have to leave by 2.15 pm to get to school for 3.00 pm, so to all intents and purposes I would have to take the afternoon off). I just don't understand what it is about the schools that they don't understand that SOME parents actually have jobs and can't just drop everything on the whim of the school. Anyway, I have written a letter for Sean to take tomorrow pointing out that I have a life and I'm not dropping everything at such short notice. And also said that I was very disappointed at the lack of communication between the two schools. What the hell, I'm sure they already think Sean is being bought up by a crackpot anyway.

Speaking of schools not understanding about parents working, it has always really annoyed me that the After School Club at Ethan's school is only open until 5.00 pm. Yep. 5.00 pm. Given that the majority of employees work until 5.00 pm, isn't that a bit daft? I don't know where they get their reasoning from. I SHOULD work until 5.00 pm, but as I have to rush back over to this side of town to pick Ethan up, I have to leave work no later than 4.15 pm. Hence doing overtime whenever I get the chance (ie can persuade Colin or Sean to pick him up), and also the reason why I very very very rarely get the chance to take a lunchbreak, as I need to make my time up somehow.

Quiet weekend here. Was poorly yesterday, so spent half the day in bed (got up because Colin would not get out of bed - 'when I don't feel well, I want company' he says - but I DON'T - so I got up to get away from him and get some peace). So I got up for a few hours, watched some TV, did some knitting of my scarf (which is coming along very very nicely) and then came back to bed when Doctor Who was on, accompanied by my gorgeous Ethan, who snuggled me up nicely to make me feel better. I had a really bad head (my eye was throbbing like it was going to explode), but I felt much better this morning. The highlight of my day was dropping Sean into Solihull, and taking myself off to John Lewis. I picked up a ball of Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran (in red) to make the Fetching fingerless gloves I offered to knit for someone (but not until I have finished the scarf and the Liesl I am knitting for Si), and then wandered off to Starbucks to try one of their dark cherry mochas. Well, at least I've tried one now - it wasn't the most wonderful thing I've tasted, but it was okay. Mmm, I do like my coffee!

Time for sleep now, a long and busy week lies ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home