Sunday, March 22, 2009

Monkeying Around

A sock knitter I am not. I find it too fiddly and time consuming. At least, I think I do. I started the Monkey socks a few weeks ago, and it's been hard going. The pattern itself is easy, I think the problem is knitting with five needles. Four I can manage easily, but five is just a pain in the arse. So I shifted it all over to four needles at the start of the week, which made it a bit easier. I have finally broken the back of sock one tonight - I managed two pattern repeats, plus all the heel bit and am now back joined up with all the stitches on the long road towards the toe.

The only thing is, despite knowing I'm not a sock knitter, I'm pondering what other socks I can/will knit with my small stash of sock yarn (I have enough for maybe four pairs more when I finish these). Should I do it? Should I get Cookie A's new book
Sock Innovation - Knitting Techniques And Patterns For One Of A Kind Socks and give into the inevitable sockfest that will follow? I just don't know. Actually, I've just been looking at all the patterns in the book on Ravelry, and I don't think I will be buying it. I just think that me and patterned socks don't really mix. A lot of the patterns just make me think of being a little girl in white knee high lacey socks. A bit of a turn off really. But I won't say never - the patterns are fabulous, but nothing is screaming out for me to knit it. Shame.

So it's past 2.00 am and knitting socks has kept me up late tonight. We've had a lazy day - I didn't drag myself out of bed until midday (despite being awake since about 8.00 am) - Colin made gazillions of stamps this morning and I sat in bed and cut some to size, then I sat here and mounted most of a large order we had, before getting up and heading to the shower. Then we went off to Direct Specs for Colin to look for new glasses - thankfully he's chosen some that make him look younger (he is not quite into his mid-30s but looks at least in his mid-40s if not older - in fact, people are always surprised that I am OLDER than him).

Oh my God, I must tell you - we were in Direct Specs looking at the frames, and Ethan was at the other side of the shop chatting up the shop assistant (he chats to anyone and everyone). All of a sudden I heard her laughing - he'd said to her (and I quote) - "I like going in my Mummy's bed, because I can lie on her boobies" - we howled, honestly - what a little bugger that boy is!

We dropped Colin back off home, picked Sean up and headed for Asda, cos I wanted to have a look for some stuff for the party bags for next week (managed to get a few bits). Asda in Small Heath was packed as usual, and there were long queues at all the tills (as usual). I really despise that shop - for clothes it's great (for Ethan anyway), but for anything else I am not keen. We picked up some stuff for lunch too and when we got back had rolls and some of those new Pringles (Italian cheese with a hint of garlic - yum!). I had a little nap (I don't know why I was so tired), and tonight I've knitted. All in all a relaxed day.

Hopefully tomorrow we will get out for a bike ride - though we will have to go the park as Sean is staying at his Dad's tonight and therefore we will have to take Ethan with us if we go out. Of course it is Mother's Day and I am expecting lots of big and expensive presents (shhh, I already know what I've got), and a day of pampering and relaxation (apart from having to do the washing and start on the mammoth (actually not really quite so mammoth) task of getting the house prepared for Colin's Mum to come down next Friday, and for Ethan's birthday on Saturday).

On that note, I really should go to sleep now otherwise I will be virtually comatose by the time my little man wakes up and wants to give me a big Mother's Day snugglywugglywingwong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home